(Please don’t be offended by my simile, it was kind of a joke)
If you aren’t close to me and haven’t heard my opinion of school well… High School is like the Hunger Games, where we are all forced to be there to torture each other until we are pretty much mentally dead. But school can be exciting in some ways other than my Hunger Games example, we can plan what we want for the future for whatever you plan to be or do in life, no matter what it was.
But that is was more into the future then we believe but now this is what we all have been waiting for… the first day of school. No one is excited for school and no one wants to be there earlier than the sun has peaked over the horizon, but sadly that is the way of life.
I have had so many first days, including that this will be my 6th school in the past 15 years, not including those years when I was in diapers, so I have had trouble on the first day which I know will change once I help you with my tips to stay alert during this time where everything will get back into order.
I know I am somewhat excited to not sit around all day and do nothing, as much as I love to do that, but that is all going to change drastically. So lets go on to what to do on the first day you get back!
- Make sure you get a good nights sleep, as much makeup can disguise those bags under your eyes in the morning, you don’t want to be falling asleep in the class with a very hard teacher.
- Make sure you have everything laid out, your backpack, lunch, supplies, outfit (or in my case a uniform) so you don’t miss a thing which is one of the worst things to deal with. Also make sure you leave your house as soon as possible because last year I learned (almost being a little late) that when everyone goes back to school, that means EVERYONE, so be prepared for the traffic.
- Be on top of everything. Make sure you got all the assignments for each class and even write down the little details so you won’t fail it.
- Make friends. I was always the shy, awkward person (still kind of am) so try to get a boost of confidence and meet someone new. Its always nice to know someone and its okay if it isn’t the whole school or the popular people. I learned that they don’t have to be your friend all year because they usually find others, so if they so make some other friends. I have found my great friends those who aren’t that popular and a little bit quirky, but they are awesome because I really like people who are different from others. And also you don’t always have to have a friend in each other your classes, I didn’t and I survived, kind of.
- Don’t bully each other, or try to ignore the bully. Pretty much everyone I have known has been effected by a bully, including me. I will never understand why people bully each other out loud instead of keeping it to yourself. Sometimes people don’t need to speak their opinions because if you said something bad about someone would you like that to be said towards you? We are all having a hard time so don’t make it hard and just because you say something that you think is meaningless doesn’t mean it didn’t hurt the person. You can get out of the person’s life all you want but they can’t change who they are, so don’t really force them to do anything harmful in anyway.
- Lockers are like the trickiest thing like to have ever exist but we have to learn to love them. They keep everything of yours in a place, so create the space your own. Make sure you don’t pen you locker, it may be a good trick to use in a hurry so you don’t have to use a combination, but make sure all your books are there because a few of mine were stolen last year. I will never understand why someone would want a Algebra 1 Textbook!
- Get involved! Get involved with the drama club, glee club, band, art club and maybe even football! Its a great way to make friends and be able to find who you are and who you want to be as a person.
- Be on top of everything! I mean school work wise. I am such a procrastinator when it comes to homework (like hello Tumblr and YouTube exist). Since I have so many activities after school this year, I need to get everything done and stay on track if I want to get anywhere in life.
- Sadly high school isn’t High School Musical so a heads up, please do not jump on top of cafeteria tables or burst out into song in a middle of a test as much as you want to. You could possibly go to detention.
- And just have fun! I know high school seems scary when you start, I am starting my sophomore year and its still scary for me, but its different for everyone. You can love it or hate it. Just hang out with friends, go to dances (most likely Homecoming), go to football games, do anything you have to do to have a good time and make sure its legal.
And for those of you have succeeded in reading all of that, I congratulate you and if you haven’t started already, I wish you a nice first day of school.
P.S. If you and/or your friend(s) are scared for the first day, feel free to share this with them or on twitter, or facebook or what other social website you like!